First Community Action Team
First CAT, which stands for First Community Action Team, is the avenue through which our associates perform volunteer service in the community. By participating in First CAT, First Insurance associates log more than 1,000 hours of volunteer time in the community every year. First CAT participates in fundraisers, park clean-ups, charity walks, food drives and meal deliveries to the elderly and homebound, all with the goal of giving back to Hawaii, its people, non-profits and charitable organizations.
Hawaii Meals on Wheels
Our team delivers hot meals to the elderly and homebound twice a week through the Hawaii Meals on Wheels (HMOW) program. Deliveries are made every week of the year, even on holidays. Our partnership with HMOW has continued uninterrupted for more than ten years. Nearly half of all First Insurance associates participate in this partnership by delivering meals each year.
We have a long history of supporting disaster relief. Recent disaster relief efforts include:
- Hawaii Disaster Relief (May 2018)
FICOH and its associates donated $30,960 to the Red Cross for flood relief efforts on Kauai and Oahu.
- Hurricane Maria Relief (October 2017)
FICOH and its associates donated $8,000 to the Red Cross for hurricane relief efforts.
- Hurricane Irma Relief (September 2017)
FICOH and its associates donated $7,000 to the Red Cross for hurricane relief efforts.
- Hurricane Harvey Relief (September 2017)
FICOH and its associates donated $20,000 to the Red Cross for hurricane relief efforts.
- Kumamoto Earthquake Disaster Relief (April 2016)
FICOH and its associates donated $13,000 to the Japan Society's earthquake relief fund.
- Tropical Storm Iselle Relief (August 2014)
FICOH and its associates donated $10,790 to the Aloha for Puna Fund.
- Typhoon Haiyan Relief (November 2013)
FICOH and its associates donated $10,000 to the Red Cross for typhoon relief efforts.
Aloha United Way
FICOH has been a loyal Aloha United Way (AUW) campaign participant since 1992. In addition to donating to pledge drives, associates coordinate and participate in fundraising events to maximize our contribution. In 2018, FICOH and its associates contributed more than $55,000 to AUW member agencies.
First Insurance Charitable Foundation
We support many local organizations through monetary donations made by our First Insurance Charitable Foundation. Our charitable giving focuses on four areas: 1) Education & Career Development, 2) Economic & Workforce Development, 3) Family, Social Services and Health Care, and 4) Civic, Culture and the Arts. Here’s a snapshot of our giving over the past five years:
- 2018 - more than $642,000 to 69 nonprofit organizations
- 2017 - more than $419,000 to 67 nonprofit organizations
- 2016 - more than $395,000 to 67 nonprofit organizations
- 2015 - more than $390,000 to 65 nonprofit organizations
- 2014 – more than $400,000 to 70 nonprofit organizations
University of Hawaii — A Committed Relationship
We believe partnerships between private business and our community’s public university form the cornerstone of a strong economy and thriving workforce. We’re proud of our longstanding partnership with the University of Hawaii. Our support includes:
- Title sponsorship of Business Night (13 years in a row), UH Shidler College of Business’ premier student event, most recently in 2018
- A $1 million First Insurance Company Distinguished Professorship at the UH Shidler College of Business, established in 2007 to recruit and retain faculty in the area of risk management
- A $100,000 endowed scholarship for full-time and part-time students of the Shidler College of Business, established in 2013
- A $100,000 commitment to the Pacific Asian Center for Entrepreneurship (PACE) at the UH Manoa Shidler College of Business
- Support of the Risk Management and Insurance certificate program at UH West Oahu, created in 2012
- The creation in 2015 of a UH Internship program, which provides up to four students with real-life working experience in Hawaii’s property and casualty insurance industry each semester
Would you like to join us in our quest to help Hawaii thrive? Learn more about FICOH careers.